Closet Redemption: The act of starting completely over in order to salvage your closet and rebuild your personal style
We are always talking about wanting more clothes, shoes, and accessories but think about this for a second: what if you already have a ton of stuff in our closet and it’s just crap that you are not in love with, has horrible quality, and does not reflect your current style palette? What if I told you that you can give your closet a fresh start? Today I am going to show you how you can spring clean your closet like a pro!
- The shirt with the stain on the front that you swore you would scrub out but never did? Gone.
- The skirt with the missing button? Out.
- The jacket with the sequins that you haven’t worn in two years? Gots to go.
There is no need to hold on to things that no longer make you happy. Don’t be afraid to get rid of your clothes if your tastes have changed. You may be wondering: What if I end up wearing the same thing every week? What if I regret giving away certain items? Trust me, you will be much happier since getting rid of that stuff and you can get excited because there is now room to add new pieces that you will love and actually wear.
Step 1: Pull every single item out of that closet. Everything. This includes clothes, shoes, belts, handbags, scarves, hats, wallets, and everything else in sight. This doesn’t have to be a daunting task. You can make a party out of it. Invite your friends over, order pizza or sushi and put on some dance music. If you have to go solo with the task you can always put on some music, grab your wine glass and hopefully you have a great view of the tv from your closet. After pulling everything out of the closet then hold up each individual item and start asking yourself these questions:
- Are you in love with this item?
- Does it bring you joy?
- If you wore it today what would you pair it with?
You should have only two piles: Give it away and Keep
Step 2: You have two options: bag up the give away pile and take it immediately to a goodwill or salvation army OR take it to a consignment shop and see if you can earn some cash from your clothes and accessories. For more details on how to sell your clothes check out this amazing post from Bustle here.
Step 3: Now that your keep pile is ready to go back in the closet, you can start organizing your items however you see fit whether its by color, style, or type. Make sure to vacuum or sweep the floor and clean the shelves and racks.
The keep pile is the foundation. It should consist of many style basics such as: button downs, basic tees, denim (jeans and jackets), blazers, cardigans, sweaters, blouses, and leggings. Having a lot of the basic items will give you more ways to switch up the outfits and add more expensive statement pieces to them. You will be surprised how many cute outfits you can create even if you end up with less than 30 items so don’t fret it can be done if your give away pile turns out to be huge.
Once you have completed the organization process and put the items back in your closet that you are keeping now is the time to do a quick evaluation:
- Make a mental note of what basic items you are lacking. I recommend H&M and Asos for purchasing basic items the most. H&M has great prices on all basics and Asos offers a two or three pack for a lot of their basic items you can check them out here.
- Take note of your current personal style. Has it changed? If so what items do you want to see more of? What do you like most about the items you decided to keep?
- Search for inspiration that mirrors your personal style and save your favorites so you know exactly what to look for next time you go shopping. My new philosophy now when I shop is if I’m not in love with it then I don’t buy it.
Step 4: Contemplate some closet upgrades. Velvet hangers are pretty affordable when purchased in bulk from Amazon so check these out here and if you are lucky enough to be close to Ikea then you can get a clothing organizer and hooks like the items pictured below:
So if you are in need of a closet redemption today, you got this!
With the season changing, now is the perfect time to get started.
Pour yourself a glass of wine, put on some music, and pull that stuff out!
Thanks for reading!
*This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase from the link then I make a small commission. Thanks for your support!